BIODEV2030 seeks to permit voluntary commitments to integrate biodiversity into key economic sectors. In Senegal, it has entailed a step-clever engagement approach primarily based on science.
- In 2020, a scientific assessment and prognosis of national and sectoral threats to biodiversity, entrusted to Professor Sambou of Cheikh Anta Diop College, confirmed there is substantial stress on biodiversity in Senegal. The effects were shared throughout a nationwide multi-stakeholder workshop in M’Bour. The stakeholders discovered agriculture (crops and livestock), fisheries and mining sectors as priority sectors for BIODEV2030, and proposed to carry out an intersectoral analyze in the Thiès location.
- In 2021, an “inventory of the agriculture, fisheries and mining sectors, and situations for the determination of stakeholders in these sectors to the preservation and restoration of biodiversity” in the Thiès area, was carried out by a consultancy business.
- Before in 2022, the benefits of the stock ended up validated by the Nationwide Biodiversity Operating Group and technical authorities from the different sectors.
These results will now be the emphasis of a dialogue with critical stakeholders to access shared and ambitious commitments for biodiversity. With the support of a consortium of national and intercontinental consultants led by LEAF Inspiring Change GmbH, BIODEV2030 will deploy an innovative mobilisation strategy based on method online games, also termed serious games, tailor-suited to the trouble at hand to realize the most effective final results in a offered landscape.
Strategy video games are a facilitation strategy that engages the person to discover the achievable outcomes of their selections, revisiting problems and checking out new options to a presented trouble. Biodiversity reduction is by now threatening people’s livelihoods, meals safety, well being and high quality of existence, and poses considerable economic and economical hazards. The technique online games deployed in Thiès will invite actors from unique sectors to establish good techniques that reconcile sustainable use of methods and economic advancement in their territory.
- Commencing this month, LEAF will start out the modeling of six periods of multi-actor and inter-sectoral tactic game titles in the location of Thiès. The method of creating the model takes into account the views of the various stakeholders so that the recreation is contextually proper to carry out answers and great methods. In addition, interviews with key actors will be held to look into the voluntary commitments emerging from the area.
- Then, in October, the six method sport classes will get location, alongside with a substantial-stage dialogue with Senegalese authorities, like the Ministers of Environment and Sustainable Improvement, Agriculture, Fisheries and Mines, and decision-makers from the a variety of sectors.
By the stop of the year, the BIODEV2030 challenge will wrap up with a workshop with national authorities and decision-makers participating in a strategy activity. The intention of the match is to ensure the voluntary commitments that will feed into the nationwide and cross-sectoral agenda to reverse the country’s accelerated reduction of biodiversity by 2030.
The BIODEV2030 task is financed by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), coordinated by Know-how France and carried out by IUCN and WWF.